Finally! There really are reasons for the delay this time, but I won’t bore you with them.
Anyway, I love these. I can’t believe how much difference in warmth they make, without getting in the way as I often find even fingerless mitts do. I think they look really cute peeping out of the ends of my sleeves, too. They’re perfect for using up little scraps of yarn and are easily knitted in an evening, which is just as well because everyone who sees them wants a pair!
I used 16g of 4-ply/sock yarn for a pair (Regia in the photos above), on 2.5mm needles (Clover bamboo), giving me a gauge of 8sts/inch.
By “m1” I mean a raised increase.
Cast on 48 stitches, join without twisting and distribute across needles (I use four dpns so it’s 16 on each of three.)
Work in 2×2 rib for 3 inches.
Round 1: K1, m1, K1, P2, repeat to end.
Round 2: K3, P1, m1, P1, repeat to end.
Round 3: K1, knit into front & back of next stitch, K1, P3, repeat to end.
Work pattern of K4, P3 as set for 5 rows.
Cast off loosely, weave in ends.
I’ve also made a version with mock cables on the 2×2 rib, ending with cables across four stitches after the increases. (I wasn’t concentrating and went the wrong way on some of that last lot – I think I’ve hidden most of them in the photo so we’ll just pretend that didn’t happen!)